Re: gateway box without keyboard and monitor.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:28:51PM -0500, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
wrote:
> I remember I read carefully the installation guide (faq4.html) and the
> READMEs.  After downloading 80 MB at 2KBps I started the installation
> following the instructions in the FAQ. It wasn't difficult at all. I
> just had to **READ** the instructions printed by the installation
> script and follow them. Those were exciting minutes.

Learning to read is a big step, for OpenBSD. Other OSs hold hands and
provide pictures and onscreen guides and scripted installs and "wizards"
that make things very braindead easy. OpenBSD has all that knowlege in a
FAQ and a checklist and a man page. Especially the FAQs that contain the
step-by-step instructions. Once I quit thinking "this is a PC" and
started thinking "This is a server, like the AS/400 at the day job. It
just runs on cheap crap hardware that I happen to have lying around."
Applying the same level of rigor to paying attention to what every scrap
of doco is saying and *never skipping a step* makes things go a lot more
smoothly, and the reliability and forethought that went into the design
starts shining through.

--
35. I will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic.
    Now they just make you look like a disaffected member of Generation X.