Re: Applying Patches

As I said in my post:

> > Once you have grabbed -stable from CVS and built the kernel
> > rebooted and done a build as decribed here:
> > http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade-minifaq.html#1.5
> >
> > What is the best method for replacing the files in the system?

I have already built the system binaries from the -stable branch.

The question was, after doing the make build what is the best and
easiest way to merge the new binaries built from -stable into the
existing system which is -release.

Quoted from FAQ:

[snip]
Update /etc and /dev by hand. These are not updated automatically.
Choose a directory with enough space to hold /, /dev, /var, and /etc.
Here I'll use /home/newroot

  # mkdir /home/newroot
  # export DESTDIR=/home/newroot
  # cd /usr/src/etc && make distribution-etc-root-var

Now compare the files in /home/newroot with their installed
counterparts.
Replace or update the files as necessary.

  # rm -rf /home/newroot   (when done)

Reboot to make sure the new /etc files are correct
[/snip]

This is sane, but it seems like a long process.
Is it possible (and sane?) to install the updated binaries straight
into the running system, or some other method other than
comparing all the individual files and manually install?

PS: Sorry to Scott for hijacking this thread, but it seemed
like the right forum for my question as well as his.

Visit your host, monkey.org