Re: disklabel offset

Raymond Lillard wrote:
Dear Misc,

I rarely need to use the disklabel command outside an
installation process, but I swear the last time I did,
the offset offered a default value calculated from the
sum of the previously defined partitions.

Just now when using it, everytime I add a new partition, the
offered offset value is [0].  I have added a new disk to a
system and don't understand why the offset value is not
tracked just like it is when doing a clean install.

Just for the record, I have read the manpage and see
no way to affect this behavior.

Following up for the record, I found more information on the topic in the FAQ. It seems I needed to use the command "fdisk -i <disk_id>" before attempting to add the label. All works as expected now.

A warning about this in the mapage wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the replies,
Ray

Visit your host, monkey.org