Re: RP: i386 serial console question... (RESOLVED)

Nick Holland wrote:

> edit mode). FAQ 7.7 only goes into how to set them up :( I'm
> guessing it's likely the windows client not emulating vt100
> properly, but don't have a means to test this. I'd like to get it
> working so I can switch SSH off. Salient details...

 Most likely, correct. The VT100 had several different sets of codes
 it could send out, depending on what mode it was in. Can you say
 "Committee designed"? Not all terminal emulators support every mode
 properly, nor do they switch between them as commanded.

Oy... It's not that way anymore, I hope.

 If you are seeing this happen EVERY time, it's almost certainly an
 emulation issue. If you see it happen once in a while, it is
 probably due to a delay between the sending of the ESC char and other
 chars in the string -- I've seen this FAR more often than I wish, and
 it really messes things up... It usually seems to have something to
 do with a slow computer somewhere...

Yes, it was every time, but between an athlon 2100+ and a 586/166, I'd hope it's not a speed issue (unlike my poor 486, which is now relegated to playing old DOS games and serving as my upgrade guinea pig)

 I dont' think the Windows-included version of Hyperterm was ever
 considered a good terminal emulator. You might want to dig around
 for options (I seem to recall something about an "Application Mode"
 for arrow keys or number pad (and to nip the pending 20 message
 off-topic on the list: no, I don't really care)), or try one of the
 MANY somewhat useful terminal emulation packages available for
 Windows. Another option which may be usable is to pick another
 emulation: vt52 was a LOT simpler...

Nick.

Got an offlist reponse that pointed me to Tera Term, which is working very nicely despite its age, is way faster than HyperTerm, and is able to connect where the other programs I experimented with choked for some odd reason. Thanks guys!!