Re: Need clarification on installing the ports tree

Greg Thomas wrote:

Steven Boothe

1. Download and unarchive the following file into the appropriate directory? ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports.tar.gz

Sure, if you're running FreeBSD.

Have you even been to http://www.openbsd.org?  Pretty easy to find info on
ports there.

Thanks Greg. Yes I had but with your encouragement I returned again with the determination to look as thoroughly as possible. I was able to find what I was looking for, albeit spread over several locations. Here's is the basic solution for cooking the recipe at http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/openbsd/mailserver/qmail+courier+vpopmail+cav+sa.php on an netinstalled OpenBSD 3.5 system:

$ ftp ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.5/ports.tar.gz
$ sudo cp ports.tar.gz /usr
$ cd /usr; sudo tar xzf ports.tar.gz

then the following should work:

$ su
# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster
# make install clean
# cd /
# mergemaster

Thanks a bunch for taking the moment to reply.

Steven

PS. I noticed that the FAQ I was referring to initially in the list
archive was from 1997, and that the new one now refers appropriately to
downloading the ports.tgz from openbsd.org.

Visit your host, monkey.org