Interactive $PWD in prompt using /bin/sh ?

Hi,

I'm using the bourne shell as default for my user account on OpenBSD 3.5 and I'd like the prompt to track the current $PWD. Is there an easy way of doing this other than making an alias for 'cd' to a script that changes the directory and then resets the prompt after a directory change? I'm coming from a Linux background (no flames please!) and I would like the equivalent to my bash prompt which uses '\u' to get the current working dir. I know I can install bash but I'd rather stick with the shells that come with a default OpenBSD install otherwise I won't learn anything, will I?

Thanks in advance and my apologies if this has already been answered recently,

Matthew.