Re: OT: Re: 2 Questions

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:13:46 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 06:03:30PM -0700, J.C. Roberts wrote:
>
>-snip longwinded ranbling-
>
>Nobody cares why an app is fast, they care that when the start it, they
>don't need to go take a nap before it starts up and can be used.

Wrong. People around here care if programs are correct, compliant,
secure and portable.

http://www.openbsd.org/
"Our efforts emphasize portability, standardization, correctness,
proactive security and integrated cryptography."

>On my
>laptop opera takes 3 seconds to load, and firefox takes 9.  Once running
>opera renders pages faster, and responds faster than mozilla.  Is this
>because opera somehow "cheats"?  I don't know and I don't care, its
>usable and mozilla isn't.  Its the same thing with MS Office vs open
>office, open office is so slow its not worth using, but MS office works
>fine.  And no, they don't need to control the OS to do that, MS office
>under wine is far faster than oo running natively.  Microsoft putting
>effort into making their application work faster isn't cheating, and
>isn't bad.  Abiword starts just as fast as MS word, so there is no
>excuse that MS is somehow cheating and its ok for oo to be unusably
>slow.  Oo is so slow that when I convert someone to a unix system from
>windows, they won't suffer with OO, I have to give them wine and MS
>Office.  I don't care if OO thinks thats ok, this is still the real
>answer to the original question of "why use MS Office under wine when
>there's OO".
>
>Adam

If you and your users find the speed of OO or mozilla to be intolerable,
there's only two things you can do; (1) use something else and/or (2)
work to fix the speed issues. Complaining about it on the OBSD misc@
list doesn't do any good.

When you get wine/MSO running correctly and securely on PARISC-64, let
us know...

JCR