Re: OT: Re: 2 Questions

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:13:46 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 06:03:30PM -0700, J.C. Roberts wrote:
>-snip longwinded ranbling-
>Nobody cares why an app is fast, they care that when the start it, they
>don't need to go take a nap before it starts up and can be used.

Wrong. People around here care if programs are correct, compliant,
secure and portable.

"Our efforts emphasize portability, standardization, correctness,
proactive security and integrated cryptography."

>On my
>laptop opera takes 3 seconds to load, and firefox takes 9.  Once running
>opera renders pages faster, and responds faster than mozilla.  Is this
>because opera somehow "cheats"?  I don't know and I don't care, its
>usable and mozilla isn't.  Its the same thing with MS Office vs open
>office, open office is so slow its not worth using, but MS office works
>fine.  And no, they don't need to control the OS to do that, MS office
>under wine is far faster than oo running natively.  Microsoft putting
>effort into making their application work faster isn't cheating, and
>isn't bad.  Abiword starts just as fast as MS word, so there is no
>excuse that MS is somehow cheating and its ok for oo to be unusably
>slow.  Oo is so slow that when I convert someone to a unix system from
>windows, they won't suffer with OO, I have to give them wine and MS
>Office.  I don't care if OO thinks thats ok, this is still the real
>answer to the original question of "why use MS Office under wine when
>there's OO".

If you and your users find the speed of OO or mozilla to be intolerable,
there's only two things you can do; (1) use something else and/or (2)
work to fix the speed issues. Complaining about it on the OBSD misc@
list doesn't do any good.

When you get wine/MSO running correctly and securely on PARISC-64, let
us know...

Visit your host, monkey.org