Re: nfs stalls and speed issues

Quoting Duncan Martin (openbsd_(_at_)_codebunny_(_dot_)_org):
> On 17 Aug 2004 19:31:58 +0200
> Artur Grabowski <art_(_at_)_blahonga_(_dot_)_org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Can you try a recent snapshot and see how it behaves? There have been
> > some improvements in this area recently.
> I've just tried this:
>
> Lucas: AMD XP2500, fxp, Aug 19 snapshot
> Drmatt: Via C3 1Ghz, vr, 3.5 release
> Merlyn: Intel P4M 1.4Ghz, fxp, 3.5 release
> Server: Intel P3 1Ghz, fxp, 3.5 release
>
> NFS settings are the defaults; v3, UDP. 100mbit switched network.
>
> I tested by pulling a 100MB file from the server to each clients local
> /tmp and by pushing a 20MB file back to the server.
>
> All the machines performed almost identically.  Reading from the server
> was around 10MB/s, writing to the server was around 330KB/s.  Writing to
> the server with FTP was about 10MB/s.

I'd be curious to see what ttcp shows (it's in ports, fairly good quick
bandwidth testing tool).

As for writes, I'd also be curious how fast you can write to the
local machine.   330KB/s is well below disk speed, but on a pair
of machines that I have with Fiber GigE, my writes were notably
slow until I figured out that I was writing to a slowish disk anyway
(old laptop drive drafted into being a boot drive in a pinch).

What happens to writes when that NFS partition in a tmpfs partition?
(eg. eliminate the spindle from the game).