From: owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org [mailto:owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org] On Behalf
Of J Moore
Sent: Tuesday, 17 August 2004 8:04 AM
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: load average too high for sendmail

No mail was arriving, so I checked the sendmail log to find the
following messages being logged repeatedly at 15 sec intervals:

Aug 16 03:59:56 auntbee sm-mta[24694]: rejecting connections on daemon
MTA: load average: 41
Aug 16 03:59:56 auntbee sm-mta[24694]: rejecting connections on daemon
MTA6: load average: 41
Aug 16 03:59:56 auntbee sm-mta[24694]: rejecting connections on daemon
MSA: load average: 41
Aug 16 03:59:56 auntbee sm-mta[24694]: rejecting connections on daemon
MSA6: load average: 41
Aug 16 04:00:01 auntbee sm-msp-queue[18586]: runqueue: Skipping queue
run -- load average too high

I re-booted immediately which of course cleared the problem, but then
realized I may have destroyed the opportunity to learn what caused the
problem.

Anyone have any insight here in terms of where I could look to discover
which processes caused the problem, or what I should do next time to
preserve debugging data?

Thanks,
Jay