Screen Problems and biff, mesg

Has anyone successfully gotten screen to properly set pty
permissions so that a user can be mesg'ed or biff works?

When I login, the pty that I run screen out of has the following
permissions.

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    6,  19 Aug  6 12:41 /dev/ptyq3

That should be correct enough to use things like write(1). And it
works. However, when you screen in, no matter if the window is "mesg
y" or not, it still doesn't seem to work.

I've ever tried playing around with changing the login status of the
screen session; alas the effort was futile.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

- Eric