Re: NEC P75 Boot Error

Roy Morris wrote:
It's not real important, but I thought I'd pass the info along anyway. I was
trying to whip up a quick machine with an old NEC Ready 7020, P75. Using the
floppy boot I get the following error.

OpenBSD 3.5 (RAMDISK) #161: Mon Mar. 29 12:53:24 MST 2004
	deraadt_(_at_)_i386_(_dot_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK
cpu0: Intel Pentium (P54C) ("GenuineIntel" 586-class) 75Mhz
cpu0: FPU, V86, DE, PSE, TSC, MSR, MCE, CX8
cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed
real mem = 41529344 (40556K)
avail mem = 34807808 (33992K)
using 532 buffers containing 2179072 bytes (2128K) of memory
mainbus0 (root)
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+(f6) BIOS, date 02/08/95, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xfdacb
pcibios0 at bios0: rev. 2.0 @ 0xfd930/0x6d0
uvm_fault(0xd0439fa0, 0x0, 0 3) -> e
fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 2 eip d021d7b6 cs 8 eflags 10202 cr2 0 cpl 0
panic: trap type 6, code=2, pc=d021d7b6

Wild Guess #1: Based on where you are getting the message, try disabling pcibios(4) using ukc>.

Wild Guess #2: Bad memory?  With 40M, the thing was almost certainly kicked
beyond what it was shipped with, sometimes you pinch a dust bunny in the
SIMM socket, or stuffed it with RAM that's been floating around outside of
an anti-static bag for the last six years.

Wild Guess #3: It's an NEC?  Ok, that was a cheep shot, based mostly on the
experience with a dealer who had access to NEC's "surplus pile" at about
that vintage.  No matter what your needed, he had something for you,
something that NEC couldn't get rid of through traditional channels.  (This
salesman was GOOD. Think "ice to eskimo" good. Think NEC to an organization
that tried to buy American-made products).  Some of those NEC machines
were real stinkers.  In fact, when I first started writing this note, at
least one Mozilla crash (and two Firefox crashes) ago, I was going to
threaten to send you a bill for the psychiatric care I was going to need
for the flashbacks you induced, but as the rest of my day has gone
(rebuilding a client's 486SX25 they were actually USING as a workstation
was NOT the odd point), you are off the hook.

*twitch*
--
http://www.holland-consulting.net

Visit your host, monkey.org