Re: making an OpenBSD TiVo

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:07:46PM -0400, Cory C. Albrecht wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just got a friends old computer after they got a new one, and I
> thought I'd make an OpenBSD version of a TiVo. A quick google didn't
> turn up anything except for some stuff about cross-compiling on OpenBSD
> for a real TiVo, nor even any messages archived on Neohapsis or monkeys
> about it.
>
> So, I was wondering if anybody here has tried this and could give me
> some advice. Things like what TV/video-in cards to avoid or a brand
> that works especially well with OpenBSD, software to (not) use, etc...
>
> And advice, I'd love to hear it, thanks in advance.

I'm trying to do the same thing, but with freebsd 5 rather than openbsd.
I've got a hauppage card in there, works great for sound and vision but
i havent got recording sussed out yet, or the tivio timer. i use a
hauppage card - dmesg has it like this:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xe7004000-0xe7004fff irq 11 at device 12.0
on pci0
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 44354 D142
bktr0: Detected a MSP3415G-B8 at 0x80
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips FR1216 PAL FM tuner, msp3400c
stereo, remote control.

If you manage to get the timer part to work, and what is best to use for
recording, I'd like to hear from you

good luck
--
John - no sig today!