[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: "Cloning" a hard drive...
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: "Cloning" a hard drive...
- From: Dan Brosemer <odin_(_at_)_svartalfheim_(_dot_)_net>
- Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:50:02 -0400
- Battlestar-galactica-date: 43649 centons, 21 microns, 11.11 lutefisk
- Mail-followup-to: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 11:40:02AM -0700, John Draper wrote:
> In an attempt to "clone" a hard drive, I connected a 2nd empty
> unformatted drive to my box and started it up.
> The command I used...
> dd if=/dev/wd0c of=/dev/wd1c bs=1028
> Seems to have worked. I got no errors, and the operation took about
> 3 1/2 hours.
dd if=/dev/rwd0c of=/dev/rwd1c bs=1024 conv=sync
I'd even recommend using a much larger block size. It'll go by quicker:
dd if=/dev/rwd0c of=/dev/rwd1c bs=10m conv=sync
Hope this helps
"Burnished gallows set with red
Caress the fevered, empty mind
Of man who hangs bloodied and blind
To reach for wisdom, not for bread." -- Deoridhe Grimsdaughter
Visit your host, monkey.org