Re: USB Memory sticks: Failure mode for forgotten umount?

On 2004-06-23 16:54:11 -0700, Ben Goren wrote:
> On 2004 Jun 23, at 9:06 AM, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>
> > Yes I know sane persons don't do that, but it's easy to forget things
> > sometimes...
>
> Hear, hear!
>
> When I was regularly mounting a removable drive, it was a digital
> camera, and all I was interested in was dumping the pictures to a new
> folder. So, I whipped up a five-line shell script that would mount,
> copy, unmount, and then tell me when it was safe to remove. Worked like
> a charm.

What I still do.  But...

> If you're using a more general kind of device, it'd probably be worth
> setting up the automount daemon. I don't think I've used it
> since...maybe 3.0, and then it was for a client's floppy and Zip
> drives. Worked reasonably well. I can't tell you specifics off the top
> of my head; I recall it being mildly hairy to set up, but not too bad.

... hotplugd(8) works fine in current.   I'm still using the "five-line
shell script" method, but it'd be trivial to get the same functionality
(mount -> move/copy -> umount) from a /etc/hotplug/attach script.  I
just like to do it manually via kern.usermount=1 etc.

Have a nice day
                                 Morten

--
http://m.mongers.org/ -- http://gallery.zentience.org/