Re: USB Prism 3 802.11b wireless adapter supported?

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:28:33PM -0600, jseutter_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com said:
> I'm thinking of picking up a " ECS USB-400 USB wireless LAN adapter
> 802.11b" (sorry for the caps), which supposedly has a Prism 3 chipset.
>  I'm wondering if this card is supported by OBSD?
>
> Info/sale here: http://www.pc97.com/customerimage.php?sku=10242
>
> According to http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html , Prism 2X USB devices
> are supported by the wi driver.  However the wi man page says it
> supports Prism 3 devices.  Is this a case of out-of-date docs, or does
> the wi driver not support the chipset over USB?

Prism 2/2.5/3 devices are supported; however, just because a vendor claims
it's a Prism chipset does not necessarily mean you're getting what you
expect. D-Link is a good example; they had a working card based on the Prism
chipset, and then changed it so that the wireless driver was required to
flash some firmware (which only worked under Windows; wi(4) didn't support
that kind of behavior), and then changed it again later to an entirely
different chipset (see message from millert@ a day or two ago).

For best results, pick something off of i386.html (if that's your platform),
then double-check that model in the archives (double-checking before I
purchased my DWL-520 would have saved me some trouble; only hardware
revisions A & B are supported with wi(4)) before purchasing.

(however, if it really is Prism-based, you'll /probably/ have no trouble.)

I'm sure Todd or someone else can give a more authoritative answer.
--
       Scott Francis | darkuncle(at)darkuncle(dot)net | 0x5537F527
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill