Re: BUFCACHEPERCENT.

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 11:22:50AM -0400, RV Tec wrote:
> I was wondering whether raising BUFCACHEPERCENT is going to help me or
> not. There ain't much about this on options(4) and there's  even less on
> config(8).

Messing around with poorly documented kernel values probably
isn't the best way to go about improving performance of your database
server, and you should be especially wary if it is a production
system.

I assume from your email that you feel MySQL should be using more
memory? I am not hugely familiar with that DBMS, but surely you should
look at configuring things at the application level with respect to
memory usage, query / result caching, etc.., before fiddling with the kernel.

Also, this might seem obvious, but perhaps your MySQL database simply
doesn't need the memory ? You don't mention what sort of quantities of
data you have stored in it, nor do you mention what kind of
performance you are getting and where precisely the problem lies.

// Niall.

--
njo_(_at_)_sig11_(_dot_)_com
"Real homosexuals don't wander in the streets in colorful suits" --Cardinal Gustaff Joos, January 25 2004.

Visit your host, monkey.org