Re: date [solved, but a little weird]

Han Boetes <han_(_at_)_mijncomputer_(_dot_)_nl> wrote:

> Linux and FreeBSD both have learned to
> live with the local timezone method. It's a piece of pie to switch and
> both OS'es happen to be used in multiboot situations.
>
> I don't know if OpenBSD can do the same, but I would change the FreeBSD
> and linux settings to the original unix setting. Simply because it has
> got one more good reasons to use it like that.

OK, easily done. I just made the switch.

Kamo Hiroyasu <wd_(_at_)_ics_(_dot_)_nara-wu_(_dot_)_ac_(_dot_)_jp> wrote:

> If you want your RTC (real time clock) set to your local time, consult
> config(8), especially, the description on the option "-e" and the
> subcommand "timezone".

I went ahead and (using BIOS setup) set my system clock to UTC. And then I set the timezone like this:

 ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Hongkong /etc/localtime

So now it works, I have the correct time. However, I encountered something weird. I'm in Taiwan, I originally tried to set the timezone like this:

 ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Taipei /etc/localtime

Well, for some reason that doesn't work, it sets the timezone as GMT. Moreover, when I reboot the /etc/localtime symbolic link disappears. But as long as I'm set to Hongkong as the time zone, I'm OK. Well, Hongkong and Taiwan are both +8 so this works - my problem is solved, but it is strange.

best regards,
Robert