Re: Why *are* the kernels monolithic?

Hello,

Damien Miller wrote:
> Try running a Nvidia or ATI or one of many other cards on
> Linux without using a binary module.

s/binary module/non-free module/.

The only binary module (sort of) for linux that I know of is pwcx
(decompression module for Philips webcams).  And even that isn't
distributed as a module, but as non-free object file to be linked with a
bit of glue into a kernel module.

Both NVidia and ATI non-free drivers ship with kernel module source to be
compiled by the user.  The binary-only part about them are the userspace
libs.

        Gabriel.

--
Gabriel Ebner - reverse "ta_(_dot_)_renbeleirbag_(_at_)_eg"
==> Please don't CC me!  I'm reading the list.