Re: rebuilding from source breaks perl setuid script?

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> Check the partitions you are running it on.  Are some of them non-setuid?

Thanks for all the prompt replies.  It was the nosuid setting for this
partition that tripped me up.

[For the curious, box A has multiple fstab entries, and /home was set
'nosuid' by the installer.  On box B, a test setup I was too lazy to
partition, / did not have 'nosuid' set in fstab.]

I verified that removing nosuid from the /home fstab entry and remounting
allows me to run a setuid Perl script.  I'm also able to setuid(2) from C
in my user directory.

Where can I read more about nosuid (other than mount(8) and fstab(5))?
Do you have any recommendations or caveats about removing this setting
from a particular partition?

Thanks again for your time.

   Best regards,
   Jeff

--

Jeff Wilson                     Senior Analyst/Programmer
Baylor University                  Network Services Group

Visit your host, monkey.org