Re: Altq limiting/prioritising bandwidth on a 10Mb line performance?

Sorry, my mistake, the traffic will peak at about 8000kbps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barraclough, Sean
Sent: Wednesday, 19 May 2004 10:06 a.m.
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: Altq limiting/prioritising bandwidth on a 10Mb line
performance?

Hi all,

We are looking at putting in altq on a couple of connections rather then
use cisco equipment for prioritising traffic.
Would a p3 667MHz 256MB RAM with 2x 100Mb nics be able to do the job? Or
should it be something a little heavier on the specs?

I estimate traffic to really peak out at about 800kbps.

The reason we are doing this is to stop print traffic taking up too much
of the line, and shoving poor old ICA traffic out the way..

Also, as the boss doesn't like the idea of using anything but cisco gear
are there any companies around using this?

And another question, would this add much overhead on a packet going
through a box with altq doing this?

Thanks for your help,

Sean