Re: make obj, normal user creates obj dirs and links?

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Andreas Kahari wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:56:18PM +0200, Christian Gut wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > today I ran into a weird question: how is it achieved, that an
> > unprivileged user (being member of wsrc) can create directories in
> > /usr/obj and symlinks under /usr/src during "make obj". All those
> > directories belong root:wsrc and have 755 permissions. The whole system
> > is just set up and cvsuped.
> >
> > I tried to understand bsd.obj.mk but didn't find the answer.
> >
> > Could someone point me to the right documentation or hint?

> set "SUDO=sudo" in /etc/mk.conf and allow the user to use the
> sudo command (read the sudo(8) and visudo(8) manuals).  Also
> read the mk.conf(5) manual.

Sorry for not stating the question correctly: I know about sudo and
SUDO=sudo and so on. But the question is: How does the buildsystem do
this without having $SUDO defined?

Further explanation:
I did do make obj as unprivileged user, with $SUDO not defined, sudo
can't be used, as i did not type my password, sudo -l asks for it. The
buildsystem successfully created all obj-dirs and symlinks without me
having the rights to write into those directories.
I'm trying to understand how this works.

Visit your host, monkey.org