CARP using Serial to sync

Hello,
Is it possible to use a serial cable to "heartbeat" two openbsd firewalls together using CARP rather than the third ethernet connection? I realize that quite a bit of information probably passes along that path with states and the like and that a serial connection may not be able to keep up... but I was curious. What I had wanted to do was setup a DMZ type situation using a soekris box with three ethernet connection and use the serial connection as the "heartbeat." Thanks,
Brandon