Re: POSTFIX - "server refused mail service" | "lost connection with other.server"

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 07:03:12PM +0100, Warren J. Beckett wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 18:26, Patricia Viana wrote:
> > <my.server.com #4.0.0 X-Postfix; connect to receipient.server.com[x.x.x.x]:   server refused mail service>
>
> This message means that something, possibly there firewall actively
> terminated your connection when you where trying to connect. Not much
> you can do about this one. The MTA has the smarts to try again. And
> hopefully when it retries you will have better luck. If it continues try
> contacted the Administrator of the remote system for assistance.

In Postfix's case, this means Postfix got a 4xx or 5xx code back on
initial connect to the server, not a failed connection. So, the remote
server was probably simply too busy to handle more mail at that point.
Either it was overloaded or the sender got blocked by the mail server
(not firewall) for some reason.

--
26. No matter how attractive certain members of the rebellion are, there is
    probably someone just as attractive who is not desperate to kill me.