Multiboot trouble (nt boot loader)

Installed yesterday (04/19/04) snapshot on a thinkpad A30p.
First IDE drive, third primary partition, first two are taken by w2k.
Boots fine off a floppy, GAG boots the OS fine. Tried
putting PBR into NT boot list (as per FAQ) - doesn't work :-(
The steps (nothing new):

  boot off floppy53C.fs
  drop into shell
  mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
  /usr/mdec/installboot -v /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/biosboot wd0
  reboot into multiuser
  dd if=/dev/rwd0a of=obsd.pbr bs=512 count=1
  boot into w2k
  put obsd.pbr onto win c:\, add line 'c:\obsd.pbr="Safe Mode"' to c:\boot.ini
  reboot
  select "Safe Mode" from nt boot menu -> screen goes blank, nothing happens.

I'm obviously missing something here, can't figure out what.
Of course, GAG is an option, but it'd be awful nice to hide the
fact that I messed with company laptop from my boss.
Any help is appreciated. Can provide more details if needed.
Thank.
--
 nickf3