Question of philosophy (OT?)

One of the things I've noticed in my use of *NIX (whether it be BSD or Linux) versus any version of windows is how memory and swap are handled. In the i386 nix world, I've never see swap touched unless absolutely necessary (like trying to compile a kernel+userland on i486), while windows is constantly swapping stuff out to disk, even when there's still well over half the physical memory still free.

I figure the nix folks are doing things the 'right' way (swap was never meant for active storage, or so I was taught), which begs the question... What's MS thinking? What sort of gains are they trying to realize by constantly shuffling things off, only to read it back a minute or two later when I switch apps?

Visit your host, monkey.org