pppd and MS-CHAP

I am having trouble with pppd and MS-CHAP. Could someone kindly help?

I followed the steps in http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PPTP (i.e.,
installed the pptp-1.1.0 port and recompiled kernel without GRE support),
but all I got from pppd was "This system lacks kernel support for PPP."

I figured out that it was because there was no "ppp0" interface. So I did
"ifconfig ppp0 create" (is this correct/necessary? the FAQ doesn't mention
anything about this).

Now, all I get is "CHAP authentication failed". I have tried various
combinations of my username, hostname and password in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
(and using "name" and "user" in /etc/ppp/options), to no avail.

The debug messages are unhelpful. The error code is "E=691, R=0", which
from /usr/local/share/doc/Reference/ms-chap.txt tells me that
authentication failed. Turning on "kdebug 7" shows the input/output
packets, but I can't decipher them.

I am using OpenBSD-current (installed from a snapshot last week and
updated through CVS).

Here are my questions:

1. The FAQ talks about how the pptp package uses "the in-house ppp" and
   talks about the user-land ppp. The actual package uses pppd. Is this
   correct/expected?

2. Do I have to create the ppp0 interface manually? What other settings do
   I need to pass to ifconfig?

3. I am supposed to connect over normal Ethernet (i.e., not a modem
   dial-in), the purpose being PPTP (VPN). The server expects MS-CHAP for
   authentication and MPPE 128 for compression (and also MPPC for
   compression). Is this workable from OpenBSD? Am I wasting my time?

4. Should I try the latest pptp (from pptp.sf.net)? Any patches required to
   get it working on OpenBSD?

Thanks for your time and help.

--
[http://sreeram.org/leisure/cookies.php]