Re: sticky(8) question

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> > On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 12:27:48AM -0500, Jared Yanovich wrote:
> > > The sticky(8) manual page mentions that "executable shareable files"
> > > with their sticky bit set will have their text segments kept resident in
> > > swap after use.
> > >
> > > It also mentions that such files can be created with the -n and -z
> > > options to ld(1). ld(1) is however unable to recognize the -z argument,
> > > and -nz seems to put it into an infinite loop... (on 3.4-current). What
> > > am I doing wrong?
> > >

> > Nothing. sticky(8) is wrong, as far as I can see. I have been unable to
> > find out if that section of sticky(8) is still relevant, and if so, what
> > the correct flags are.
>
> A bit tired at the moment but...
>
> It's for all code segments, I think, no matter what binary.

A grep in sys on VSVTX and ISVTX shows that these flags are only used when
deleting a file (VSVTX is not used at all). AFAIK, all executables are
shared these days, and not put into swap.

So the section on executable files in sticky(8) is not relevant anymore.
Same holds for chmod(2).

	-Otto

Visit your host, monkey.org