Re: Some help for interviewing

On Monday 08 December 2003 10:51 pm, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 08 Dec 2003 20:38:28 -0800 Geoff Sweet <lists_(_at_)_whootis_(_dot_)_com> wrote:
> > We use alot of OpenBSD for our DNS and Mail relays at work, and we are
> > interviewing some candidates to come in for a System Admin type
> > positions.  I was hoping I could call on the groups collective power and
> > ask if there are any favorite interview questions (and their answers)
> > that you like to ask with regards to OpenBSD or just BSD's in general.
>
> this isn't really bsdish, but if they're administering mail relays, i like
> to see them telnet to port 25 and do a nice forgery w/o reference
> to any documents. if they have any competence at all as a mail
> admin, they should be able to handle that. if they can't, i don't want
> them managing my mail servers.
>
> richard

I suppose that would be a good question but I can't imagine myself applying
for a sysadmin to manage some mail servers not being able to do something
like that. Working for an ISP puts me in a position to do things of that
nature almost daily. All these damned windows mail servers annoy me because
they often times severely limit the details of configuring one can do to a
mail server; SMTP is pretty massive. Anyone notice how big O'Reilly's
Sendmail book is? Its like a thousand pages.

Visit your host, monkey.org