Re: How much RAM is too much?

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:50:18PM -0600, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:40:25PM -0700, Chris Cameron wrote:
> > It has been written a couple of times on this mailing list that due to
> > the way OpenBSD deals with memory, it'd be wise only to have as much RAM
> > in your computer as is needed. This is due to overhead in how the kernel
> > manages things (at least this is my understanding; hard topic to search
> > for).
> [snip]
> I'm not an expert, but my general understanding is that more than 1GB
> physical RAM requires special handling on x86, and OpenBSD is pretty
> unlikely to be tuned for such situations.

no, that's not true. I ran a machine with 1.5 GB at 2.9 days.
perhaps I still do, I forgot which one it was ;-)

there may be problems with more than 2 GB - it basically works, but
then something may not work correctly ;-)
this would be worth checking and reporting.

--
http://2suck.net/hhwl.html - http://www.bsws.de/
(Dennis Ritchie)

Visit your host, monkey.org