Re: ^New FSs in 3.4?

Quoting Andrew M Hoerter (amh_(_at_)_pobox_(_dot_)_com):
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Brad wrote:
> > JFS, Reiser, and XFS cannot be added due to their unacceptable licenses.
>
> I've often heard it said that isolating GPL'ed code into loadable modules
> which are added to the kernel at runtime would sidestep this licensing
> issue.  IANAL, so I don't know the legal basis for this theory; is it
> deemed to be an unacceptable risk due to uncertain interpretation of the
> GPL?  Or is it explicitly not permitted by the license?

I'm just repeating what I've seen here over and over:
New GPL code will not be added.

Sidestepping and working around are not the goal.

Now, should YOU wish to make a port that finds and builds
the file system you want as an LKM, then go nuts.  Many
people might use it.

> I'm particularly disappointed with SGI for not choosing a better license
> for XFS, but I guess something is better than nothing.

Oh, I think this makes sense from their perspective - it keeps
Sun from sliding it into Solaris without opening up a lot of
OS code to get it in.

Visit your host, monkey.org