Re: dynamic ip and a domain

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 13:17, Gëzim Hoxha wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I've got a dynamic IP and I run a web server (I also
> use dynamic dns). I bought a domain name and I use
> zoneedit.com as my dns server. My question is, is it
> possible to have my domain take the traffic to my
> dynamic IP (without me having to do it manually
> everytime my IP changes), and for the address bar to
> show my domain name?

Depends on your Domainname-Provider. Mine gives me the ability to create
an alias eg. foo.bar.com to foo.dyndns.org. CNAME or ALIAS im not fully
into this stuff.
All I need to do is a little apache tweaking. Define a virtualhost entry
based on IP and use a placeholder in your config (best in a template
file). Everytime you reconnect, parse your config file for the
placeholder, replace it with your current ip and reload apache with the
resulting configfile. Works fine for me.

sascha

Visit your host, monkey.org