Re: Rack Recommendations

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:58:23 -0600 (MDT) "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists_(_at_)_sancho2k_(_dot_)_net> wrote:
> Reading the OP's question revived some pretty bad memories of installing
> servers in our panduits. All of the systems we have bought recently come
> with rackmount kits for dell racks. They are pretty nice; just tension
> snap them into the square holes. The Panduit racks that we have are
> circular holes and spaced differently; I realize that this is a matter of
> different rack systems, but it doesn't stop there.

the spacing in the Panduit racks (i've used a number of different rack
systems, including panduit racks side-by-side with the very nice aluminum
Chatsworth two post racks) is extremely standard, designed to mesh up with
standard hole spacing in (n)U rackmount equipment. i would consider racks
that didn't use this spacing to be non-standard oddballs.

> The poor utilization
> of
> rack space vertically that comes as a result of rack mount brackets
> sticking out in the wrong direction leaves us shorted about 3 servers
> worth of space per rack.

sounds like an assembly problem.

> Beyond this, the racks seem to be geared towards
> screws and not snaps.

most standard racks are.

> The structure of the racks alone makes the act of
> getting a screwdriver pointed in correctly to get a good hold on the
> screw
> near impossible.

again, this sounds like an assembly problem, or perhaps using non-standard
rack mounts in standard racks.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty_(_at_)_averillpark_(_dot_)_net