Re: SiS vs VIA i386 north/southbridge

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:08:28 -0600
Breen Ouellette <the_(_dot_)_man_(_at_)_breeno_(_dot_)_net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     A while back there was some griping over the VIA mainboard chipset
> due to crappy IDE performance (ie. errors in RAIDframe with four
> drives).
>
>     Does anyone have direct experience with SiS chipsets in genereal,
> and the 740 chipset in particular, working better than the VIA
> counterparts when running OpenBSD?

My K7SOM v5.2 motherboard panics after about 5 minutes of compiling the
kernel, see PR3361. I also had a K7SOM v7.5A here for a while, which I
only booted from CD-ROM. 3.3 wouldn't boot at all, -current booted but I
haven't tested it after that. The v5.2 mobo has an SIS730D chipset, the
other has a 740D chipset.
Haven't tried any VIA chipsets yet.

At the moment I'm looking at those Asus A7N266-VM motherboards. They
have about everything I need, and still fit in a 1U case. However, I'll
have no idea how stable they'll be.

// nick