Ram needed for production Mysql

Hi, I couldn't find any up to date info on the Ram needed for production Mysql servers. The Dell salesman is recommending 3-4Gb of ram but that sounds excessive to me though, what do you guys think?

The server is 2.8Ghz and may have as many as 230 mysql sessions with 13 queries a second, the rest will be sleeping (ftp sessions maintain connection). The old server is seems quite happy with 512mb. The server also does low levels of firewall/ftp/http-perl/email.

Do you guys think 3-4Gb is fair or excessive for this workload?

Thanks :)
Brad.

Få gode tilbud direkte i din mailbox http://jatak.msn.dk