Re: Router problems

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:49:36AM -0400, Kevin Cornies wrote:
> I have a SPARCstation 5 110MHz, 196mb ram, with two le nics, one onboard and
> another sbus. All other traffic seems to go through fast except for games. I
> get high ping times. When i had 3.2 on a 333MHz PentiumII i didnt't have
> these problems. I thought it might be because each UDP packet takes a while
> to be evaluated with my rules. Is there a way i could optimize my ruleset to
> increase the speed without losing security?

I bet your problem are the le(4) NICs. they really really really
really suck. I see upto 40% packet loss under heavy traffic on one
sparc with its onboard le (any sbus hme(4)s to me, please...).
now that fits with the "game" thing as these tend to send lotsa small
packets afaik.

--
http://2suck.net/hhwl.html - http://www.bsws.de/
(Dennis Ritchie)