Re: hard disc upgrade (IDE to SCSI) software problems

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 01:22:55PM -0400, mikhail malamud wrote:
> I recently upgraded my workstation  from using a smaller IDE disk to a
> larger SCSI hard disk. I used the procedure described in
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#Backup + plus device name changes
> in fstab to move the operating system from one disk to another.
> Everything worked smooth and I was able to boot from new disk. All
> applications and daemons are working except tinyporxy which I installed
> from ports and it had been working flowlessly before the disk upgrade. I
> send my error messages to a tinyproxy mailing list and I was told that
> the error message is coming from the shared memory allocation function.
>
> 1. Could a device name change because of an IDE to SCSI disk upgrade
> some how affect the OS and residing applications in negative way.
> Perhaps I needed to change soemthing more than just fstab file.

Yes, and more importantly, it almost invariably will. (To my knowlege it
IS invarabily will, but stating that is the surest way to get someone to
trot out a method for that to not happen.) You'll most likely see
/dev/wd0 change to /dev/sd0, etc.

--
39. If I absolutely must ride into battle, I will certainly not ride at the
    forefront of my Legions of Terror, nor will I seek out my opposite number