Re: wanted: new cisco router for cvs connection

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:30:38PM +0200, Jakob Schlyter wrote:

> we   need   a  new   cisco   router   for  the   connection   to
> cvs.openbsd.org.

First, this is in  no way a troll; nor is  it a criticism. I'm not
qualified to criticise.

I'm  curious: what  is it  about the  cisco router  that makes  it
preferable to a ``normal''  computer (i386, Sun, whatever) running
OpenBSD for  this application? I can make  guesses--hardware being
at the top of the list--but I've never had to deal with networking
at this level so all my guesses would be completely uninformed.

Would it be  possible to use OpenBSD in this  situation at all? If
so, what would it look like? I have in mind a computer with one or
more  fast PCI  busses and  as many  quad ethernet  cards as  will
physically fit...but,  again, this is  out of my league  (which is
why I'm asking).

Might OpenBSD  be a reasonable  fit in some similar  situations to
this one?

Cheers,

b&

--
Ben Goren
 mailto:ben_(_at_)_trumpetpower_(_dot_)_com