Re: High availability

Em Sex 30 Mai 2003 04:32, Victor escreveu:
> back. I think the driver is called drbd
> (http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/reisner/drbd/) but I am not
> familiar as to how "production-ready" it is. It's certainly an
> interesting solution (that is used by a few proprietary vendors on
> windows platform, with some success).

DRBD is production ready, as its author, Philipp Reisner, is actually
making a living with it by selling DRBD solutions and support. His
company is called LinBit and is at http://www.linbit.at/

Perhaps someone can see the code and try to do something like that in
OpenBSD. I helped DRBD development in its early stages (and recently
some additional debugging/audit for UnitedLinux), and I remember that
given the mess inside Linux's source code, we were never sure about
the possible races and the weird interaction between the block device
and networking code (not to mention the usage of buffers above 1GB on
x86). Of course those are solved now, but I would expect things to be
smoother in OpenBSD, since it's better organized.

Heh, I've seen (and debugged in-loco) Oracle databases of more than
100GB being replicated by DRBD and it just worked.

OK, that's _very_ offtopic. I'll stop now. :)

--
Boycott the USofA, starting today.

Visit your host, monkey.org