Re: does popa3d support apop?

On Wed, 21 May 2003 07:34:59 -0700 Ben Goren <ben_(_at_)_trumpetpower_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 02:03:39PM +0000, corgi corgi wrote:
>
> > I  looked on  the man  pages for  popa3d on  www.openbsd.org but
> > didn't see anything  about apop.  This must mean  it doesn't but
> > if someone can confirm that, I'd appreciate it.

> Security with  POP has always been  almost as bad as  with telnet.
> One should assume that all POP sessions are insecure and use other
> means,  such  as  ssh  or  IPSEC,  to  secure  the  connection  in
> environments where this is necessary.

additionally, most modern MUAs support pop3s (pop3 over ssl) natively.
it's easy enough to set up popa3d & stunnel to do pop3s, and uw-imap
and courier both support pop3s (and imaps) directly.

so the presence or absence of apop isn't really a deal breaker if you're
trying to hide pop passwords. the tools are already there.

richard
  (currently setting up courier with pop3s and imaps at a client's site)
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty_(_at_)_averillpark_(_dot_)_net