pppoe/ppp?

I haven't upgraded in a while, and finally have the time, so I'm upgrading my firewall from 2.9 to 3.3 (I'm building a 3.3 firewall which will replace the 2.9 one). My setup is typical DSL PPPoE. When I built the 2.9 firewall, there was only the pppoe driver for PPPoE, but now it appears that ppp handles PPPoE as well? Can anyone comment on the differences between the two? Recommendation?

Thanks,

/|/|ike

P.S. I tried looking through the archives for this. However the searchable archives aren't very useful, as they list older messages first. I was unable to get anything more recent than 2001! Is there anyplace I can just download the bulk archives and search them on my own machine?