Re: remove sendmail?

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 01:36:40AM +0100, Paul Reilly wrote:
> I noticed after a base install that sendmail is installed
> by default! Two questions:
>
> 1. it's not a package - is there a clean way to remove it
>    apart from rm'ing all the sendmail related files ?

no.

> 2. if a mailer must be installed, why not something like
>    postfix with it's better security history than sendmail!

One of the goals of OpenBSD from my observation is to a provide standard
and "historical" operating system. Sendmail is the historical standard
unix mta, so its included in openbsd.

Also, a possible reason would be licensing. Often, the reason things
are not included with openbsd is that their license contradicts the goal
of the project. see: http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html

I recall a specific thread once about the postfix license contradicting
itself over and over again. Search the archives.

btw, the postfix port is extremely well done. Is it really that hard to
just install postfix if thats the mta you choose?

Clint

> Paul

Visit your host, monkey.org