Re: tape backup advice

> 2. Next I tried 'cpio'. I can write a full backup and restore files. I'm
> having problems performing an incremental backup. 'cpio' for the full
> backup is:
>
>    cpio -o -v -F /dev/rst0 < file.list >& log.out
>
> 'cpio' for the incremental backup is:
>
>    cpio -o -A -v -F /dev/rst0 < file.list >& log.out

You can't append new data onto a cpio file on tape.  Presuming that
the full backup if the first file on the tape, you want something
like

	mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1
	cpio -o -v -F /dev/rst0 < incremental_file.list >& log.out

But you'll probably find it easier to use one tape per backup.

> Which command works "best" for this type of simple backup?

cpio, tar, pax - "De gustibus non est disputandum"

David S.