Re: Freedom to Tinker: Use a Firewall, Go to Jail

Dave Feustel writes:
 > Use a Firewall, Go to Jail
 >
 > The states of Massachusetts and Texas are preparing to
 > consider bills that apparently are intended to extend the
 > national Digital Millennium Copyright Act. (TX bill; MA bill)
 > The bills are obviously related to each other somehow,
 > since they are textually similar.
 >
 > Here is one example of the far-reaching harmful effects of
 > these bills. Both bills would flatly ban the possession, sale,
 > or use of technologies that "conceal from a communication
 > service provider ... the existence or place of origin or
 > destination of any communication". Your ISP is a communcation
 > service provider, so anything that concealed the origin or
 > destination of any communication from your ISP would be
 > illegal -- with no exceptions.
 >
 > http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000336.html

IANAL, but after reading the Colorado. and Texas versions of the bill,
I believe that there are no inherent problems with NAT devices
introduced by those bills.  The crux of the matter is using devices to
misappropriate communication resources.  If you have a valid agreement
with an ISP for an IP address or range, then using a NAT device or
devices to make sure all outbound traffic is assigned to one of those
addresses is fine.  You would not be trying to [Texas SECTION 6.] "(B)
conceal from a communication service provider, or from any lawful
authority, the existence or place of origin or destination of any
communication" because you are using your address.  Any IPSec traffic
would have one of your IPs as the source or destination, so you again
are not running afoul of this because it's yours.

On the other hand, if you were using devices to usurp IPs outside your
assigned range, sending out traffic with spoofed source addresses,
then you would be deemed a criminal based on these proposed laws.  And
that's a problem why?

Maybe I'm missing some nuance, but that's how I see it.

Coey

--
Coey Minear
Software Test Engineer

Secure Computing(R)
Protecting the World's Most Important Networks(tm)
http://www.securecomputing.com
NASDAQ: SCUR