Re: PPTP and removing GRE on 3.2

Quoting T. Ribbrock (emgaron_(_at_)_gmx_(_dot_)_net):
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 05:13:43AM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
>
> > Did you bother to read my reply?  It's all about tunnelling pptp (gre)
> > through a 3.2 firewall.  Get your head out of your ass and READ.
>
> I read *your* mail - did you actually read mine?
> Your mail talks about VPN stuff (which I know nothing about), not about
> the modem-via-pptp situation I was talking about.

PPTP is microsoft's attempt at VPN software, ok?

  PPTP == VPN

Yes, it's not actually secure, but that's the MS factor.
(see http://www.counterpane.com/pptp.html)

For almost everyone in the world, when using a "pp" tool for
DSL/cable, you really want PPoE.  You seem to have that unusual
situation.  (we won't even discuss PoE for powering remote devices
over ethernet :).

> If you intention is to tell me that your solution applies to my problem
> as well, then say so, as that is exactly the part that is unclear to me,
> otherwise I wouldn't have written my mail. So, to put it more
> precisely: Do I have to assume that I have to regard the modem as
> some kind of VPN client or suchlike? So, that would mean that the same
> type of solution applies?

Visit your host, monkey.org