Re: no UDP traffic (from MS Exchange) on internal side of firewall

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:21:42 -0500
David Dinin <DDinin_(_at_)_resourcecapitalgroup_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

>  See, Exchange uses UDP packets to inform LAN clients that they
> have mail so that the clients can then open TCP connections to retrieve
> their mailboxes,

No it's not, at least not according to the official docs.
It could use MS-RPC but that's not using UDP and nowhere does it say it uses
it to notify clients of new mail.

>  and the local clients are not receiving them; therefore, no
> one in our office gets new mail until they close and reopen a folder (Inbox,
> Sent, whatever, as long as the mailbox has to refresh).

They have to poll the server every X minutes.

> The firewall is static IP'd at 10.0.0.1, the mail server is static IP'd at
> 10.0.0.2 (at presently also serving the web page), and everyone else is on
> DHCP.

So you're saying that the clients are also on 10.0.0.*? Then it certainly has
nothing to do with the firewall.

---
Lars Hansson

Visit your host, monkey.org