Re: DNS Not Working Properly

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 03:15:00AM -0500, Michael Alaimo wrote:

> >> /etc/resolv.conf
> >>
> >> domain bryckwyndows.com
> >> lookup file bind
> >> tyler:named {23}
> >
> >what is "tyler:named {23}"? is  it part of your resolv.conf? if
> >so, is it  a replacement for "nameserver <ns_ip>"? as  far as I
> >can  tell,  man  resolv.conf(5)  doesn't list  it  as  a  valid
> >statement. and it looks a lot like a command prompt to me.
>
> i just pasted it in by accident.

If that's the entire contents of your resolv.conf, then that's the
problem. You  need a  line  that starts  with ``nameserver,''  and
ends  wtih a  valid  DNS server's  IP  address. If you're  running
bind  locally, that'll  be  one of  your  own addresses. Read  the
resolv.conf (5) manual page.

Cheers,

b&

--
Ben Goren
 mailto:ben_(_at_)_trumpetpower_(_dot_)_com