Re: rc.local

Quoting Chris Gripp (cgripp_(_at_)_automotive_(_dot_)_com):
> Does /etc/init.d/ even exist in OpenBSD?!?
>
> None of my installs have it.  I'm not asking to be a smartass.  I am used to
> the Linux SysV system and although I am getting used to BSD quickly it is a
> little different.  If there were simple scripts for starting, stoping and
> restarting daemons like there were in linux for bsd that would be keen.

No, as I said, "in my personal practice".

I advocated it here once.  Once.  Long ago.  Having
startup/shutdown scripts was perceived to be the first
step on the slippery slope to changing the kernel and
license to be a System 5 Unix.  Several reactions went
irrational.  To be expected. "So how you you plan to implement
init levels?"  (well, I don't, I just have /etc/rc run
init scripts getting flags and yeah/nay from from /etc/rc.conf.
It made it quite managable by automatic tools).

Writing start/stop scripts is pretty simple.  Really simple.
If you've seen several unixes, you can do it.

OpenBSD would appear to be the BSD that's not moving to
init scripts, NetBSD and FreeBSD 5 mostly use them - it makes
it easier for 3rd parties (and ports) to add their services
to the startup.  Good behavior says to add in an "OFF" position
(e.g. install imap.sh.sample).
It's not generally a problem either way.  I make my own scripts in
the  init.d/ form and have rc.local call them.  Just personal
preference.

The stanzas for rc and rc.local are pretty straight forward.
Best practices suggest clear naming of the service (e.g. MYSQL)
and a flags variable that's used for all parameters.

One day, someone might write something to manage rc.conf.
SGI's chkconfig does ok with system 5 (multiple init levels),
but I have no clue why Linus went with that model rather than
the BSD single/multiple user model which is all most people use.

> -G

Visit your host, monkey.org