Re: Root's Shell

On Thursday, Jan 9, 2003, at 09:11 US/Pacific, Andrew Basterfield wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:03:04 +0100
Saad Kadhi <saad_(_at_)_docisland_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

Can I adapt the root terminal to include things like Ctrl A (go to
beginning of line) & Ctrl E (go to end of line), tab(autocomplete)?

this depends on the shell a user use. openbsd's root shell is  csh.
the completion feats you are talking about are bash's[1].

and OpenBSD's /bin/ksh

it is not advised to change the root shell. however, your average
admin usually create a 'toor' account which has the same ID as  root
(0)  and give it a bash shell.

Why not? What is the problem changing root's shell as long as the new shell is static and has no dependencies on another file-system?

Why bother changing something that isn't broken? It's so simple to start your favorite shell from the default shell that I don't understand why people go to such great lengths to possibly break their systems. Making a mistake while changing root's shell is the second most often FAQ after "I forgot my password".

Greg "KISS" T.

Visit your host, monkey.org