Re: pppd has its own will?

It might be the ISP resetting the connection, but then PPP should have been taken down and i would expect to see a lot more in the logs. My guess is that the IP address was renegotiated. The PPP specification allows all network layer protocols (e.g. IP) to be closed and opened at any time. So, Your ISP closes IPCP (Internet Protocol Control Protocol) and reopens it, but the PPP link is up the whole time. Just one possibility.

			-&

today pppd changed my ip with no apparent reason, with the consequence
that 1) all my connections dropped, 2) some of my pf rules were "out of
date", 3) my dyndns account pointed to a wrong ip

-- GPG key / Schlüssel -- http://simultan.dyndns.org/~arjones/gpgkey.txt Encrypt everything. / Alles verschlüsseln.