lazy man's "pkg_delete" (terrible script - help!)

Hi,

I was a bit shocked to find pkg_delete xm* wouldn't work, and that one has
to type in the full name and version of the file, or I'm missing
something...

So I whipped togetherthis dreadful script (shame!) and was wondering if
someone could improve it for me? I new to shell scripting...

# cat /usr/local/bin/pkgdelete
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

if [ ! $1 ]; then
        echo "please enter partial package name"
else
        match=`pkg_info | awk '{print $1}' | grep $1`
        matches=`echo $match | wc -w | sed -e "s/[ ]*[  ]*//"`

        if [ ! $match ]; then

                echo "no matching packages found"

        else

                if [ $matches != "1" ]; then
                        echo "too many ($matches) matches:"
                        echo $match
                        echo "please specify"
                else
                        echo "$match getting removed"
                        echo `pkg_delete $match`
                        if [ ! `pkg_info | grep $match` ]; then
                                echo "job done!"
                        else
                                echo "errors... please see above :("
                        fi
                fi
        fi
fi
#

Well it works ok but it's pretty disgusting you'll agree!

poff_(_at_)_sixbit_(_dot_)_org